Organists to serve Williamwood Parish Church are:
Alan Mathew (Organist and Choirmaster: November 2009 – November 2012)
Alan was appointed to follow Gail when family illness necessitated her departure in 2009. Modern Church music, together with “Shout for Joy” a musical celebrating the life of Christ, “Make way for Christmas” at Christmas 2010 along with the traditional Nine Lessons and Carols, have dignified worship and performances. The successful presentation, on two occasions, of “The Armed Man” has allowed generous donations to be sent to Erskine Hospital.
Gail Alexander (Director of Music: 2002 – 2009)
Gail, our second lady organist in 75 years, once again increased the choir’s repertoire with Faure’s Cantique and items from Karl Jenkins’ “The Armed Man”. Items from MGM musicals in concert raised funds for Malawi.
Sandy MacPherson (Director of Music: 1993 – 2001)
Previously held posts at Cathcart Church Ayr, Coylton Parish Church, Castlehill Parish Church Ayr and Mearns Parish Kirk Newton Mearns. Sandy took over in 1993 for a nine year period with the choir performing at such events such as the AGM of the Scottish Rotary Club in Perk and social gatherings at kindred churches.
Norrie Wright (1983 – 1992)
Norrie followed John as choir master and organist in 1983 introducing over nine years a secular flavour through concerts including songs from many of the popular stage musicals such as “My Fair Lady”
Other Organists, Choirmasters and Directors of Music to serve from 1937-1983 were
- 1937-1943 – Mr Robert Simpson - was the first of 10 organists to be appointed. He introduced regular practices in for the 1937 embryonic choir. The inadequate Trayser Harmonium, with Mr Simpson had to contend, was sited in the from pews, facing the chancel and aligned the choir.
- 1943-1948 – Mr Ernest Markby - Ernest accepted the role of organist and choir master in 1943, doing so without payment, until he stepped down in 1948 to be followed by Mrs Madge Niven.
- 1949-1952 – Mrs Madge Niven
- 1953-1954 – Mr Nimmo Davidson
- 1954-1958 – Mr Angus Small
- 1959-1983 – Mr John Tulloch